Google Ads conversion tracking shows you what happens after a customer clicks on your ads – whether they purchased a product, signed up for your newsletter, called your business, or downloaded your app. When a customer completes an action that you've defined as valuable, these customer actions are called conversions.
Note: Before you get started with this tag, we recommend that you learn more about how this feature works in the Google Ads help center.
To set up Google Ads conversion tracking, you will need to enter the required Google Ads Conversion ID and Conversion Label, and an optional Conversion Value, Order ID, and/or Currency Code.
1. In Tag Manager, start a new Google Ads tag. From the home screen select New Tag and then Tag Configuration and then Google Ads Conversion Tracking.
2. Sign in to your Google Ads account to gather the values that you will use to complete the tag setup:
2.1. Previous AdWords experience:
A. In your AdWords account, navigate to Tools and then Conversions and then Conversion Actions.
B. Select the name of the conversion action that you want to use from the Name column.
C. In the code box, find and record the values for the conversion. For Conversion ID, this will be google_conversion_id, for Conversion Label, this will be google_conversion_label, and so on.
2.2. New Google Ads experience:
A. In your Google Ads account, click the Tools menu. ()
B. Select Measurement: Conversions, which opens to the Conversion Actions table.
C. Select the name of the conversion that you want to use from the Name column.
D. Expand the tab for Tag setup to view the tag details.
E. Select Use Google Tag Manager card.
F. Copy the Conversion ID and Conversion Label.
3. In Tag Manager, add the required Conversion ID and Conversion Label values obtained from step 2 to their respective fields. You may optionally add a Conversion Value, Order ID*, and Currency Code. Be sure to use Tag Manager variables for these field values whenever applicable. (For example, most cases will use a variable for Order ID.) Note: For Order ID, you will need to set up your app or website to generate an Order ID, add that value to the data layer, and create a Tag Manager variable to retrieve the Order ID value.
4. Choose one or more Triggers in the triggering section to specify when the tag should fire. NOTE: The trigger type in this stage should be Custom. You need to set up a Google Tag Manager event, and then use that Event as a Custom Trigger in Tag Manager to register a conversion.
IMPORTANT POINT TO REMEMBER
We at Outgrow don't fire any tags on behalf of our customers. We just fire GTAG events which the user needs to use in order to fire the tags on their own. Customers need to define triggers in their own GTAG using the GTAG events.
5. Click Save to complete your tag setup.
6. Important: For optimal web browser compatibility, ensure that a conversion linker is enabled.
7. Preview your changes, and publish when ready.
Feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] in case you have any questions.
If you want to capture the entire flow of customers through your site and include conversions from non-Google Ads sources in your conversion tracking reports, use Tag Manager to deploy Google Analytics across your entire site and then import your Analytics goals and transactions into Google Ads.
Updated 10 months ago